Provincial Letters

Far from the mad crowds of the city, Blaise Pascal passed comment on the strange behaviour of this urban contemporaries in his Provincial Letters. The connection between them and this blog is somewhat tenuous.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grimsby, N E Lincolnshire, United Kingdom

My star sign in Superstition. And I didn't believe in reincarnation last time, either. The only thing I can't tolerate is intolerance. I am a fanatical ant-fanaticist. I am bigotted only where bigots are concerned. I am a fundamentalist atheist. I'm proud to be a product of evolution; I know it in my genes.

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Posted @ 13:35Grimsby Dock Police Boat


I don't know the date of this photograph (click on the title of this post to see the original context) but I would guess late 19th to early 20th century. This was the height of technology at one time (but I can't quite square that with the inane grin on his face...).

I have this image of this man chasing trawlers out of the docks to attempt to apprehend some miscreant who's gone to sea before paying his bar bill.

Just what did they need this for? The pursuit idea is a wonderful fantasy, but - even with sailing vessels - I can't see it being successful. It could have been a rescue boat for those unfortunate enough to fall in water (cue Bluebottle for all Goons fans).

This is a wonderful photograph that I came across by accident whilst searching the net for something else entirely. I have a sneaking suspicion that the boat's only use was to appear in this photograph: I can't work out whether he's grinning with pride or embarrassment.

Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home